Best of Chile
Day 1 - ARRIVE SANTIAGO
Arrive into Santiago today.
On arrival to Santiago, capital of Chile, we will meet and transfer you to your hotel. (Private Transfer)
Day 2 - SANTIAGO
Santiago de Chile was founded in 1541 by the Spanish Conqueror Pedro de Valdivia who was sent by the conqueror of the Incas, Pizzaro, to establish a new capital in the fast growing Spanish Empire in the New World.
Much of the core layout as designed by the master builder Pedro de Gamboa remains to this day.
During the half day city tour you will visit key locations where the rich history of the city played out.
Santiago city is the perfect blend between the old colonial style and modern architecture, characteristics that make the city on of the most interesting in South America.
The tour begins with a visit to San Cristobal Hill. Rising 880 mts / 2640 ft over the city – the second highest natural point in Santiago, you are offered panoramic views of the city. You then travel to the heart of the city and Plaza de Armas the spot from where the city has grown throughout the centuries. Each Latin city has a plaza de armas as when cities were founded the center was also were the armory and military base was established – hence the name “Plaza de Armas”. Visit some of the more important buildings such as the Cathedral, the City Council, the Central Post Office and the National Historical Museum.
You will also visit some the original colonial neighborhoods such as Concha y Toro Square. Characterized by its cobbled streets and old mansions that reflect the elegance and richness of the early twentieth century the neighborhood grew to prominence between 1870 and 1876 with the influx of wealth as a result of mining and the discovery of Silver. Many Chileans achieved great wealth, including Enrique Concha y Toro founder of the famed winery. Then onto the eastern part of the city and the more modern side of Santiago.
End of the tour and transfer to the hotel. (B.) (Private Tour)
Day 3 - SANTIAGO - VALPARAISO
This morning your tour will depart from Santiago to the coastline located 120 kilometers of Santiago, passing through the fertile “Curacaví and Casablanca Valleys”, its vineyards, fruit plantations and forest reserves.
During the route, you will visit two important cities, “Viña del Mar”, the main resort of Chile and “Valparaíso”, a port city founded in the XVI century and declared “World heritage by UNESCO”. The promenade includes a panoramic tour by the emblematic places of Valparaíso, such as “National Congress”, “O’Higgins Park”, “Italia Park”, “Victoria Square”, “Sotomayor Square” and “Prat” dock located in the same port.
You will then visit the Museum of the famous Chilean poet and writer and Nobel prize-winning in Literature (1971), Pablo Neruda named “Casa Museo La Sebastiana”. In the house, collections of old and navy maps and other paintings are kept. There are many other relics of the port and strange objects, such as music boxes and an antique carved wooden carousel horse.
You will then walk through the wonderful viewpoints “Atkinson” and “Gervasoni” located in the most important hills of Valparaíso, “Cerro Alegre” and “Cerro Concepción”.
You will also use its old and picturesque cable cars, the trolleybuses, which are still connecting this city. You will continue this beautiful route in front of the sea to arrive at the city of Viña del Mar, which is very well-known as the “Garden City”, fine.
You will then walk past the picturesque “Flower Clock” and go through the “Peru Avenue” with its traditional “Casino” and fine “Hotel Del Mar”, which is the first of Chile, founded in 1930.
Finally, you will be able to see and take a picture of an authentic Moai from the Easter Island, located on the outside of the important “Museum of Paleontology and Anthropology Fonck”.
Return to the Hotel. (B.) (Private Tour)
Day 4 - SANTIAGO - ATACAMA DESERT
Today at schedule time we will transfer you to the airport for your direct flight to Calama.
Upon arrival you be transfer to your Hotel in San Pedro de Atacama. (B.) (Private Transfer) (Semi-Private Transfer)
Day 5 - ATACAMA DESERT
The day begins by heading south from San Pedro de Atacama to Cejar Lagoon (the floating lagoon). This small lagoon has impressive white edges of crystallised salt and is intensely turquoise in colour, providing a home for flamingos and tagua birds. It's also a nice place for a swim as the salt allows the body to float.
Use this afternoon to get under the skin of this burgeoning tourist destination. San Pedro’ restaurant scene has grown considerably over the last couple of year. With a mix of Chilean, French and Italian influence, you’ll be sure to find a great spot for dinner.
Perhaps join an astronomical tour once the star come out. (B.) (Shared Guide)
Day 6 - ATACAMA DESERT
Morning at leisure.
This afternoon you will take a tour through the amazing Moon Valley one of the most spectacular phenomena in the Atacama Desert. Here you explore the silent moonscape and strange figures that nature has formed. Then we continue to the Sunset spot, located in front of the amphitheater. (B.) (Shared Guide)
Day 7 - SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA - PUERTO MONTT
At schedule time we will transfer you to Calama airport for your flight to Puerto Montt.
Upon arrival we will transfer you to your hotel. (B.) (Private Transfer) (Semi-Private Transfer)
Day 8 - PUERTO VARAS
Join a local expert to visit the port city of Puerto Montt founded in 1850.
From a viewpoint high above the town, enjoy a magnifcent look at the wide Bay of Reloncavi up to Isla Tenglo and the narrow of the same name.
Afterward, head to the harbour to visit the Angelmo Fish Market. Besides unusual fresh fish, vegetables, cheeses and meats, there are various arts and crafts for sale.
A novel way to have lunch at Angelmo is at a Cocineria or ‘Kitchen Restaurant.’ Look for a line of these mini restaurants where you can watch the kitchen and everything happening inside behind a large window. See how the food is prepared, including Curanto en Olla, a stew made with seafood, smoked meat, fowl and sausage.
Afterward drive to the lovely village of Frutillar, to see the historical area where houses are surrounded by beautiful gardens similar to those of the German Black Forest region.
Back in Puerto Varas, the rest of the afternoon and evening at leisure. (B.) (Private Tour)
Day 9 - PUERTO VARAS - EMBARK
After breakfast we will transfer you to the cruise terminal for a 6 days cruise through the Chilean fiords and glaciers.
At noon, weigh anchor from Skorpios Terminal in Puerto Montt. Sailing through the Llanquihue archipelago. Catch sight of Calbuco city, Ancud Gulf.
16:30hrs. Arrival at Quemchi, Chiloe lsland. Disembark on boats at this picturesque Chilote village. You can visit the handicraft market, streets and coffees shops, also the museum house of the Chilean writer Francisco Coloane.
18:30hrs. Continue sailing to the South through the Archipelago of Chiloe and Corcovado Gulf crossing at midnight. (B. L. D.) (Private Transfer)
Day 10 - PUERTO AGUIRRE - PUNTA PESCADORES
08:00 hrs. Navigation through the Moraleda and Ferronave channels. Arrival at the fishing village of Puerto Aguirre at 11:00hrs.
Disembark at this fishing village enclosed at the Chonos/s archipelago, walking the streets, lookouts and the path of a rainforest, typical of the region.
13:00hrs. noon continues sailing through the Ferronave, Pilcomayo and Costa channels.
17:30hrs. Arrival at Punta Pescadores, disembark on the beach of little stones, walking 2 km approximately to the south, enjoying the natural environment of the place its fauna and patagonic flora.
At 20:00hrs. Weigh anchor to the South.
22:00hrs. approximately at Caleta Quesahuen or Punta Leopardos, 20 nautical miles from the San Rafael Glacier. (B. L. D.)
Day 11 - GLACIER SAN RAFAEL
07:30 hrs. Crossing the San Rafael Lagoon entrance and Tempanos channel.
09:00hrs. The ship enters the Lagoon and anchors at 2 kms far from the Glacier. Boat excursions among multicolored icebergs will take place if the weather allows us.
15:30hrs. The ship gets closer to the Glacier.
17:00hrs. Set sail to the Quitralco Fjord. (B. L. D.)
Day 12 - QUITRALCO - FIORDS
08:00 hrs. Berth at the Quitralco pier. After breakfast, passengers can take hot springs baths where the water temperature rise up to 32º C and 38º C, in covered and outside pools. lf the weather allows boat excursions in motor boats through the inside of the fjord will take place.
17:00hrs. Sail towards Chiloe, navigating through the Moraleda and Perez Norte channels. (B. L. D.)
Day 13 - CHONOS ARCHIPELAGO - CHILOE ISLAND
08:00 hrs. Sailing through Leucayec channel, partial view of Melinka in the Chonos archipelago, which it was a shelter of fearsome pirates.
Corcovado Gulf crossing. ln this, if the conditions allow to, there is a possibility of watching humpback whales and blue whales or Alfaguaras.
Continue to sail through the oriental coast of the Chiloe lsland, arriving at 11:00hrs. to lslote Conejos located at Queilén channel. Disembark on boats and we will see at the surrounding area Magellanic penguins and numerous birds.
13:00hrs. We will sail between Lemuy and Chelín islands.
17:00hrs. Arrival to Dalcahue, disembark and visit of this town. We recommend to visit the handicraft market, the Church, and walk along the promenade.
23:00hrs. Set sail towards Puerto Montt.
Farewell party, Captain’s dinner, dance. (B. L. D.)
Day 14 - DESEMBARKATION - PUNTA ARENAS
08:00 hrs. Docked at the Skorpios Terminal pier in Puerto Montt.
09:30 hrs. Breakfast, disembarkation.
Transfer to the airport for your flight to Punta Arenas.
On arrival we will transfer you to your hotel. (B.) (Private Transfer)
Day 15 - PUNTA ARENAS - TORRES DEL PAINE NATIONAL PARK
This morning at the schedule time you will meet and transferred to Torres del Paine National Park. On the way you will stop at The Ranch Cerro Negro, located 187 km from Punta Arenas, 60 km from Puerto Natales. It is the place where visitors will have lunch and be welcomed by a very special family who has worked at the ranch for several years. They will make you feel like at home. Arrive Laguna Amarga, entry Gate to Paine National Park. Then continue the minibus drive to Hotel Las Torres. (B. L. D.) (Semi-Private Transfer)
Day 16 - TORRES DEL PAINE NATIONAL PARK
As a guest at Las Torres Patagonia, you will enjoy an all-inclusive Patagonian experience with excellent guided excursions, delicious and healthy local cuisine.
Las Torres Patagonia excursions will take guests to see and experience the great beauty and fascinating life of Chilean Patagonia. With the help of expert guides each guest will find the right outing depending on their interest and energy levels. On offer are walks, hikes, and tours by van or vehicle. Difficulty levels are available from easy to very difficult. There are half-day and full-day options.
We suggest whilst there that you may enjoy tours by van with some light walks, including lake Nordenskold, Salto Grande, Laguna Azul, Lago Sarmiento and many more. (B. L. D.)
Day 17 - TORRES DEL PAINE NATIONAL PARK
As a guest at Las Torres Patagonia, you will enjoy an all-inclusive Patagonian experience with excellent guided excursions, delicious and healthy local cuisine.  (B. L. D.)
Day 18 - DEPART TORRES DEL PAINE NATIONAL PARK
After breakfast your tour comes to an end with a transfer to Punta Arenas or Calafate. (B.) (Semi-Private Transfer)
We can offer you the possibility to extend this tour to other incredible destinations like:
- ARGENTINA: Calafate and Buenos Aires
- CHILE: Easter Island
- Antarctica: Fly and Cruise
The below hand-picked properties feature good location, superior service, and all facilities necessary for a comfortable stay.
- Santiago: Ismael 312
- Atacama Desert: Altiplanico
- Paine National Park: Las Torres
- Puerto Varas: Cabanas del Lago
- Punta Arenas: Cabo de Hornos
- Chilean Fiords: Cruise Skorpios II
- Hotel accommodation quoted in lead-in hotel guest rooms unless specified otherwise
- Hotels can easily be changed at the customer request. We have a wide selection so you can be assured of a great place to stay
- We have several Patagonia cruises and itineraries that you can choose from, please let us know if you wish to changed the selected cruise for other vessel or program
- Occasionally due to circumstances out of our control, hotels quoted may not be available at the time of booking. In these circumstances when hotels are unavailable, South America Tours Pty Ltd will provide the best possible alternative.
- All Internal fights within Chile and airport tax.
- The Internal flights are based on the assumption you would be flying internationally to South America and back with LATAM Airlines. A supplement will apply if your International air-ticket is purchased and issued separately or by another airline company
- Accommodation with private facilities as mentioned in the itinerary
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary:
(B.) = Breakfast
(L.) = Lunch
(D.) = Dinner
- All transfers, transport, sightseeing and excursions as per the itinerary unless specified otherwise:
(Private Transfer / Transport) = Your own exclusive driver. No queuing for taxis, no stopping en route at tour booking agencies. All private transfers / transport are operated on a private basis – i.e., you won’t be sharing with others
(Semi-Private Transfer) = transport provided by the hotel or lodge to their guest only
(Private Tour) = Your own, personal tour guide and an exclusive vehicle
(Shared Guide) = Meet other like minded travellers and share the services of a guide / vehicle during the plan activity. Typical group size is 10 travellers which really works well and makes for a fun experience for all.
- Parks and monuments entrance
- Professional English speaking local guides throughout
- Service charges and taxes.
What’s not included
- International air-tickets. We have access to wholesale fares and work closely with LATAM Airlines, contact us before organize your flights independently.
- Tourist Visas are not included. It is the traveller’s responsibility to ensure they meet the visa requirements for the country they are visiting. South America Tours is unable to provide visa advice
- Travel insurance
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included, phone call, laundry, tips, etc.
- Rates are subject to change and different rates may apply during holiday seasons and special events
- Hotel accommodation quoted in lead-in hotel guest rooms unless specified otherwise
- Occasionally due to circumstances out of our control, hotels quoted may not be available at the time of booking. If you have any hotels you must stay at then please let us know so we can hold space for you for a limited time. In these circumstances when hotels are unavailable, South America Tours will provide the best possible alternative. We have a wide selection so you can be assured of a great place to stay is LATAM Airlines.
- Irrespective of whether you book directly with us or with your preferred travel agent, we’ll want to know the details of all of your fights – flight times frequently change and we want to make sure your transfers and other arrangements are amended accordingly.
- We only book flights in conjunction with tailor-made land (and sea) arrangements booked through us – we don’t book just flights, sorry.
- You should ensure you have travel insurance in place to cover the possibility of unforeseen circumstances which result in the inability to participate in the tour
- It is the traveller’s responsibility to ensure they meet the visa requirements for the country they are visiting.
- South America Tours Pty Ltd does not provide visa services
- All routes are subject to change without notice due to unexpected circumstances or weather conditions.